Friday, June 16, 2006

Argentina Dreaming

It truly was a pretty move . . . . I haven't had a chance to rewatch the game, so my memory of it is still hazy with sleep and dreams, which is okay considering how amazing the whole thing went down. I normally wouldn't get so excited by such a one-sided match, but the play of brilliance was such a brutal display of finesse and trickster power that I can't get it out of my head. The Guardian reported that it was a "24- pass move" but I can't remember. But it culminated with midfielder Esteban Cambiasso passing it to striker Hernan Crespo near the penalty area who then immediately sent the ball back to Cambiasso with a nifty little back flick. Cambiasso then rocketed the ball into the net, securing the second goal for Argentina, and in turn preparing the way for four more nails in the coffin of Serbia and Montenegro. A play so beautiful it sent Maradona into hysterics.

2 comments:

lynda said...

Normally it's downright painful seeing a team dismantled so thoroughly, but Argentina was just brilliant to watch. They're going to win it all and if they keep playing like this, I'll be cheering for them the whole way. Best match yet.

lisa said...

Gotta say, it doesn't look to me like it takes all that much to throw Maradona into a screaming ecstasy. I'm not saying that's a bad thing...

But, yeah, stunning work by the boys in powder blue. It does my heart good to see Messi up and running again...