Friday, May 11, 2007

Wherefore art thou, Barca?

After Barca's mortifying defeat by Getafe in yesterday's Copa, there was little I could say except that the better team on the pitch had certainly won. What has happened to my beautiful, talented, heartfelt Barca? With the exception of Puyol, whatever was in their hearts and heads, they mostly just wandered around the pitch like a bunch of bored, overpaid mercenaries yesterday. Seems Samuel Eto'o, at least, realizes how far they've fallen:

"I felt ashamed. If it had been possible I would have wanted the ground to open up and swallow me. After the game I cried from the feelings of powerlessness and I couldn't sleep."

Here's hoping Barca takes a long, hard look at themselves and can pull it together to win the league this year, at least--and with their stylish, flowing play, not a series of ugly "results."

No comments: